What is Forest School?
Forest Schools provide a unique and fun learning experience. Originally developed in Scandinavia to teach about the environment and the world around us, they provide stimulating, memorable and exciting experiences for children. Forest Schools have been recognised for helping children recognise the importance of being healthy, staying safe, enjoying activities and making a positive contribution.
Sessions take place weekly in a woodland area which is in close proximity to The Ark. Forest School gives children a fabulous opportunity for active outdoor play and discovery and allows them to explore and develop their social, physical, intellectual and creative skills. Forest School also focuses on helping a child to develop independence, self-confidence and emotional skills. The Ark Forest School sessions support learning outcomes through the EYFS and any child led interests.
The Benefits of Forest School
1. Increase in confidence and self-belief
2. Development of social skills
3. Increased motivation and concentration
4. Improved physical skills
5. Deeper knowledge and understanding of the surrounding environment and seasonal changes
6. Ability to manage risk
7. Increased health and well-being
8. Improve communication and language
9. Improve personal, social and emotional development